Search Related Sites

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Does Hebrews Chapter 1 show that Jesus is (and was) an angel and distinct from God?

It seems remarkable to nontrinitarians when trinitarians focus on Hebrews chapter 1. The fact that they occasionally do so is powerful proof that there is a serious shortage of support for their ideas.

Hebrews 1:5 and 1:13 in particular are absolutely the opposite of trinity proof texts! In fact, these verses (along with the verses from which Paul there quotes) demonstrate conclusively that Jesus is (and was) an angel and distinct from Jehovah. Those verses ask three questions which are actually specific references to earlier Scriptures about Jesus, and each and every one of those Hebrew Scriptures juxtaposes Jesus as separate and distinct from the person of "Jehovah" (note that each referenced "Old Testament" Scripture actually uses the Tetragrammaton). Thus, when each question frames itself as asking about “which angel” ("to which angel...?") then a well-read Bible student in Paul's day or our own day would immediately recognize the quoted verses which supply each answer as pointing to Jesus (A: "the angel is Jesus!"), and reminding that Jesus is a distinct person from Jehovah.

There is no reason to argue that the apostle Paul was asking rhetorical questions. Here is each of Paul’s rhetorical questions, along with the earlier Scriptural references from which Paul quotes...


From Hebrews 1:5, the question posed:

Q: [quote]To which one of the angels did [God] ever say: "You are my son; I, today, I have become your father"?[unquote]

The obvious answer:

To which angel? To the angel Jesus, the Christ, as Psalm 2 shows!

.. ..(Psalm 2:2-12) High officials themselves have massed together as one Against Jehovah and against his anointed one [footnote; "Christ"]... Let me refer to the decree of Jehovah; He has said to me: "You are my son; I, today, I have become your father..."


From Hebrews 1:5, the question posed:

Q: [quote]To which of one of the angels did [God] ever say: ..."I myself shall become his father, and he himself will become my son"?[unquote]


The obvious answer:

To which angel? To the angel Jesus, God's chosen King, as 2 Samuel 7 shows!

.. ..(2 Samuel 7:11-14) Jehovah has told you ... I myself shall become his father, and he himself will become my son.


From Hebrews 1:13, the question posed:

Q: [quote]To which one of the angels has [God] ever said: “Sit at my right hand, until I place your enemies as a stool for your feet”?[unquote]


The obvious answer:

To which angel? To the angel Jesus, who waited patiently for God's purposes to unfold, as Psalm 110 shows!

.. ..(Psalm 110:1) The utterance of Jehovah to my Lord is: “Sit at my right hand Until I place your enemies as a stool for your feet.”


Remarkably, the only way this passage from Hebrews could possibly reconcile with trinitarianism is if one incorrectly believes that Paul was somehow asking trick questions to confuse his readers.

For more, see:

Archangel - Links to Information (Search For Bible Truths)