Search Related Sites

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Did Jesus raise himself up from the dead (John 10:17-18)?

Most trinitarian translations translate John 10:17-18 as:

“I lay down my life, that I may take it again .... I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again; this charge I have received from my Father.” - RSV.

That Jesus had the “power to take his life again” might seem to be implying that he would actually resurrect himself.

HOWEVER, we should be aware that, although this translation is understandably the most popular one for trinitarians, IT IS NOT THE ONLY INTERPRETATION. In fact, it is not even the most likely, and, in light of many other scriptures, it is certainly not the most appropriate.

Even some trinitarian Bibles translate lambano in John 10:17, 18 as “receive” instead of “take” (as in the RSV above) and exousia as “right” or “authority” instead of “power” as in the RSV above:

“I have the right to lay it down, and I have the right [exousia] to receive [lambano] it back again; this charge I have received from my Father.” - New English Bible (NEB) .

Such a rendering, of course, is in line with the Father alone actually raising up the dead Jesus as so many scriptures plainly state, such as:

Acts 2:24, "But God raised him from the dead". NIV

Acts 2:32, "God has raised this Jesus to life". NIV

For much more, see:
RU - Jesus Raised Himself?

Examining Trinity 'Proof Texts'

Trinity Indexes

Search For Bible Truths - ARCHIVE 

Scriptures Index

Search For Bible Truths - Search Guide